BRC Global Standard for Packaging and Packaging Materials
This Standard focuses on quality and functional aspects of packaging which complement the established requirements of food packaging plant GMPs.
As with other BRC Standards, the principal requirements are the adoption of:
- AIBI-CS has auditors competent in the following product categories.
- Management commitment
- Hazard and risk assessment
- Quality Management Systems including product traceability and management of recalls
- The site environment and operating standards: including product storage, maintenance, cleaning, pest control, equipment, and security
- Personnel training and hygiene requirements
What Does the Standard Cover?
The Standard includes:
- Guidance and support for sites new to the certification process
- Requirements for managing printed packaging that are crucial to the establishment and operation of an effective packaging manufacturing operation
- Considerations for managing the functional quality of packaging materials to meet customer specifications
- A grading scheme based on number and severity of non-conformities
- Audit frequencies and processes for corrective action review based on performance
- Two product categories based on the hygiene risk associated with the final use of the packaging materials
What Are the Key Benefits?
- Covers product quality, safety, and legality
- Covers packaging material providers and packagers
- Encourages best practices within the food supply chain
These audits generally require 1.5 days on-site. An additional half day is devoted to writing the report and managing the corrective action process.